About 27th All India Essay Contest on Nuclear Science and Technology
- Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) is a department under Government of India and it is inviting applications for 27th All India Essay Competition, in which authors of top 36 selected essays will be invited to Mumbai for oral present of their essay.
- Students pursuing graduation in any stream in India can participate by writing an essay on topics related to nuclear energy.
- The topics of the 27th All India Essay Contest on Nuclear Science and Technology are
Demand for safe and Reliable energy in India – Role of Nuclear Power.
- Radioisotopes and Radiation Technologies for the Welfare of Mankind –A Saga of 120 years.
Power Beams and their Applications in Energy, Environments and Healthcare.
Who can apply – The Eligibility Criteria
Gender Both Region India Class/ Age Students purusing full time graduation from any university/ institute deemed to be a university in India Details Not Eligible to participate
- Those candidates who have earlier participated in the essay contest conducted by DAE and have won prizes including consolation prizes are not eligible to send their essays for participation.
Essay Contest on Nuclear Science and Technology Rewards
Winners will be rewarded on Founder’s Day i.e. October 30, 2015
- First Prize (3 nos.) : Rs 21,000
- Second Prize (3 nos.) : Rs 14,000
- Third Prize (3 nos.) : Rs 7,000
- Consolation Prize : Rs 3,000 (To all those who make oral presentation but do not secure ﬁrst, second or third prize)
Application Mode and Process
Essay Contest on Nuclear Science and Technology Application Process
Application Process for 27th All India Essay Contest on Nuclear Science and Technology
- The student has to write the essay according to the given guidelines and send the Essay at the given address before August 3, 2015.
Guidelines for writing the Essay or 27th All India Essay Contest on Nuclear Science and Technology
- Contestants need not to write their name or address anywhere on the sheet containing the essay.
- Essay must be written by a single person in English or in any official Indian language.
- Essay must be written in the following manner in not more than 2000 words
- An introduction in not more than 350 words stating about multifarious achievements of DAE in basic sciences and nuclear technology development and how these have helped in overall societal development in the country.
- Body of the essay in not more than 1500 words on the following topics.
- The Conclusion of the essay should not exceed 150 words
- Documents to be sent along with the essay
- Bonafide studentship certificate by the principal of the university/college, contestant attending.
- A separate sheet stating the participant’s name, College/ institute name and residential address with contact no. and email-Id of the contestant as well as of the Institute.
- Contestants have to send their essay on the following address (Essays sent through email or fax will not be considered)
Assistant Administrative officer, Public Awareness Division
Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India,
Anushakti Bhavan, CSM Marg, Mumbai 400 001.
Yopics for the Essay Contest
Demand for safe and Reliable energy in India – Role of Nuclear Power:
- Global and Indian Scenario of Nuclear power including per capita consumption
- Projected demand of power in the next 2 decades in India
- Front and back ends of Nuclear Fuel Cycle
- Safe management of spent nuclear fuel
- Safety records in nuclear power generation
- Nuclear waste management
- Economics of Nuclear power
- International Collaboration for Accelerated growth of nuclear power
- Public perception.
Radioisotopes and Radiation Technologies for the Welfare of Mankind –A Saga of 120 years
- Historical Perspective
- Production and properties of radioisotopes and radiation
- Radiopharmaceuticals as diagnostic and therapeutic agents in health care
- Radiation therapy for cancer treatment
- Radiotracer applications in industry
- Applications of sealed radioisotopes and radiation technologies in industry
- Isotope applications in hydrology and water resource management
- Radiation processing applications in health care and industry
- Application of radiations in agriculture and food processing
- Advances in radioisotopes and radiation based technologies
- Associated radiological safety
Power Beams and their Applications in Energy, Environments and Healthcare
- Three types of Beams: Plasma, Lasers and Electron/proton beams
- Properties and unique characteristics of these Power Beams
- Application of Laser, in Energy e.g., Inertial confinement fusion, in Environment such as in remote Sensing and pollution monitoring and in healthcare e.g., laser Scalpel, laser lithotripsy, etc.
- Application of Plasma, In Energy e.g. Fusion plasmas, in Environment such as toxic waste incineration and nuclear decontamination using plasma torch, and in healthcare such as for wound healing and cancer treatment
- Applications of Electron/Proton beams: Accelerator driven subcritical systems for nuclear energy production, In Environment e.g., for fuel gas treatment for removal of Sox and NOX, and in healthcare for sterilization
- The status of Power Beam Science & Technology in India and Future outlook
Essay Contest on Nuclear Science and Technology Selection Process
- Out of the total essays, 36 best essays will be selected.
- Only the authors of the selected 36 essays will be informed for the oral presentation of their essays in Mumbai in October last week.
- For final selection both oral presentation as well as the quality of written essay will be considered.
- Candidates can also prepare the power point presentations for their essay.
- Authors invited to Mumbai to present their essays orally will be given the following facilities:
- To and fro AC 3-Tier fare for railways by the shortest route
- Claim for reimbursement of rail fare for journey performed by Rajdhani/August Kranti/Shatabdi Express will be restricted to AC 3-Tier by ordinary Express/Mail train.
- Boarding and lodging in the Guest House of BARC at Anushaktinagar, Mumbai during the authorized period of stay.
Chatrapathi Shivaji Maharaj Marg,
Mumbai – 400 001
Contact 27th All India Essay Contest on Nuclear Science and Technology